Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pondering the Cost to Accost

I've been so busy debating on Facebook. The Christian chatroom I frequent most, is very good. There are three austere atheists that frequent the room, and a lot of profound Christians, as well as many baby Christians. Most of the atheists make fun of the Bible, in an unending rant of skepticism and stereotype. You explain something in a way that you hope they consider, but more often then not, they are not really seeking God, instead they are just looking to vent their skepticism. In all actuality, they are looking for God subconsciously; just being in the room on a daily basis "begs the question" of their motive. Just last night we discussed in length if there was a talking snake in the Book of Genesis. I had a hard time pointing out that Satan was a fallen angel, not a snake. In the Bible, Satan is called an angel of light, a roaring lion, a dragon, a serpent, and so on. These are metaphors that describe not what Satan "looks like" but what Satan "is like." Satan is sly and cunning, and I would suppose that he tempted Eve in much the same manner he tempts us today. That is, he sits on our shoulder, and mind-to-mind temptation becomes real as we lower the full armor of God, letting him in. I was challenged by the atheists as well as some Christians. A lot of comments get taken out of context, so further explanation is needed for contextualization. People share their burdens, their clichés, their testimonies, and a lot more. The scope of the room fortunately bleeds over into Christian Apologetics and theistic philosophies such as Theism, big-bang cosmology, and intelligent design. Strange as it may seem, the atheists are often the best debaters on the big-bang, origins, macro and micro evolution, and intelligent design. I suppose this is because they don't study the Bible, and have more time for other things. As far as Christian history goes, it seems that atheists and many Christians are equally illiterate. I just debated a Christian that claimed the 4th Century Roman Emperor Constantine changed the Christian day of gathering from the Sabbath (Saturday), to The Lord's Day (Sunday). That followed by blaming the Church in Rome with changing the Ten Commandments. The fact is that Christians gathered on The Lord's Day over and over in the New Testament, because Jesus rose on Sunday. This was more than three hundred years before the rise of Constantine! God rested on the seventh day of creation, and we are to rest as well. The emphasis of The Sabbath changed as it kept pointing forward to its coming fulfillment. We now rest in the finished work of Jesus Christ, and are no longer bound to the ceremonial law (shadow) that pointed forward, and had its fulfillment in the Crystal Christ, The Paragon of Virtue! Once the anti-type has come, we no longer look back to shadows and types. That would be equivalent to what the Book of Hebrews says "would be the trampling under foot the precious blood of Jesus Christ." Are you resting in the life and Person of Jesus Christ?

2 comments:

  1. I take advantage of the Sabbath day in order to prepare for the Lord's day (Sunday). From Friday night to Saturday afternoon/night, I read my Bible, listen to Christian music, attend church...whatever I can. By Sunday, I'm ready to share and excited (and tired sometimes if the Sabbath was really fun). Christians would do well to see what I'm talking about and try it on for size. There are so many opportunities for ministry and fellowship and learning on the Sabbath day and then you'll have more on your plate for Sunday. I look at the Sabbath like I do the tithe. In the Old Testament, the tithe was 10%. Then Jesus came along. The New Testament shows us that ALL - 100% - is God's, not just 10%. (okay, I am probably stepping on shoes right about now). Let me explain: Everyone knows about the widow's mite. She had a tiny offering. Jesus was quick to point out that the rich was giving out of their excess (the 10% tithe) but the widow GAVE ALL THAT SHE HAD. Jesus also required the rich young ruler to SELL ALL THAT HE HAD AND THEN COME FOLLOW HIM. When looking to feed the multitudes, the young lad had to GIVE UP HIS ENTIRE MEAL to the disciples. Jesus asked the Father to bless it and then more than 5 thousand people ate with 12 baskets of food collected afterwards. So, if all of our money and all of our time and all that we have is Gods (Jesus said the greatest commandment was to "Love the Lord Thy God with ALL (there's that "all" word again) they heart..soul..mind..strength.." then what is it the Lord requires of us? We are to die to self and live for him. All we have belongs to him. We follow Jesus' example and hold up ALL we have like the meal of 2 fishes and bread and dedicate it ALL to his service. Watch it multiply and feed the multitude around us as we see that it's not about rules and regulations but about the freedom we have to give ALL we have to him and stop limiting ourselves to one day and 10% of our assets. I'm getting wordy but may I say one more thing on this subject? I used to wonder about why the Jews seems to be wealthy. I found out something interesting years ago when I used to work in the retail field. I found out that majority of money we made was usually from Friday to Saturday. That's the Sabbath day that most people go out shopping and whatever. Well, maybe many of the Jews are less apt to spend the money that Gentiles spend and so have more money to spend on investments instead? I realize I probably broke all kinds of logic rules by stating this argument, but think about it and try it out. Try spending money any day but the Sabbath and the Lord's day and see if you don't spend LESS money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a great comment, but I guess it was too long and where did it go? It went to "comment heaven." It was something I enjoyed writing. Only Jesus and I will see it, because I'm too tired to try to write it all out again. If the Lord wants me to try again, He'll bring me back to this spot again in the future.

    ReplyDelete