Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Stench, of mediocrity

I don't know about you, but I do not want to just live a mediocre existence, going through the motions of life with little or no meaning, just looking forward to the end of the work week to escape the job I hate. So often I have someone tell me on Thursday or Friday, "one more day, eight more hours, then we are free." So often when I am walking close to God and I hear the "one more day" desperation chant, it just buries my heart! It really does! Don't we realize the "now" of life?" "Now" is all we really have! What good does it do me, to hate the now moment, and look forward to a moment that is yet to happen? I enjoy working, but I also know that the Bible teaches that when we work for our employer, we are to do it as if we are working for The Lord. When I saw this in scripture, it struck a chord in me. I already liked to work, I already loved God, and now I see God revealing to me that behind the scenes of my everyday job, He is there. He gave me the job, He sustains me in the job, and above all He gives me extreme importance and meaning in the job and position I hold. Even the Christians fall for it, "just a few more hours", a few more hours and then what, I ask? Go home and raid the refrigerator? Go home and write an article for the paper? Go home and surf the web or watch television, or sleep, or something else? All that is fine, but you just left home! In fact, you've been here just one hour and your heart's desire is to go home. What kind of pagans are we anyway? Grown men crying like a bunch of babies. I don't get this. I don't get it at all. Forgive me if you think this is strange, but all I am saying must be contextualized as living in the "now" presence of God. I remember once, working at the golf course, there was a big tournament. I worked many, many hours that week, and even some of the members had helped out to make the big tourney a success. It was Friday evening, and the course was just about as good as it could get for the big weekend tournament. Suddenly on fairway eight, just before dark, the big mesquite tree on the right side of the fairway broke and fell into the fairway. One of the board members was near to see this, and he just hung his head. Then he lifted his head with a smile and said, "just leave it." After all it was almost dark, and we had been working nearly sixty hours that week. But when he said, "just leave it." I said, "you've got to be kidding!" I said, "I was born for a moment like this!" I know it sounds funny, but that's exactly what I said. And, I meant it! I rocked a huge part of the stump of that old mesquite tree upon my shoulder and cheated it unto the trailer. Part of my skin went with the stump, drawing blood, I didn't feel a thing. I didn't feel a thing because my real boss was there, and I was there loving the life He gave me. All day, all week, riding the mowers, listening to Christian teaching, singing, memorizing scripture, praying, living my life on the edge with My King Jesus. It just doesn't get any better than this! Living with passion! Have you been there? A good day's work, for a good day's pay. But God gives the entire thing meaning! And without God, things are just meaningless! I don't want to live another day, just going through the motions, of a life I found myself living. I challenge anyone reading this article, learn to see that God is your employer. Work will never be the same! To God be the Glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment